Pop Tab Collection Program
Little things can make a big difference. You can help support the Ronald McDonald House of Durham by collecting the little tabs you pull to open soda, soup or other aluminum cans. The funds generated from recycling these aluminum gems help offset the House's expenses. Collecting tabs can be an easy and fun project. Tabs can be dropped off at the House any day between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. or taken to most American Legion Posts in North Carolina.
Many groups such as schools, corporations, clubs and communities participate in this program and it's a simple way to make a big difference. Collecting pop tabs is a great program that benefits the Ronald McDonald House families and is easy to organize.
Pop Tab Program Information Request
If you would like more information about the Pop Tab program or to request Pop Tab Collection Houses, please fill out the Pop Tab Program Request Form.
Pop Tab Program FAQs
- Why do you only collect the tabs from cans?
- Although the whole aluminum can is valuable, the tab is much cleaner and easier to collect in large quantities than whole cans. The tab of a standard soda can is made of high quality, high-grade aluminum. By itself, it doesn't mean much, but when you pull together, pop-tabs add up and become a valuable donation to your local Ronald McDonald House.
- Who can participate with the Pop Tab Program?
- Anyone! Because they're common and easy to collect, pop-tabs allow virtually any individual or community organization to participate. Many schools support this project because it provides a terrific opportunity for children to get involved and make a genuine contribution to their community. Other enthusiastic participants include churches, hospitals, grocery stores, rotary clubs and business break rooms.
- How do I get started?
- Start collecting! You can use anything to collect the tabs in (ex. shoebox, milk carton, etc.) Or fill out the Pop Tab Program Request Form to receive individual collection houses to share with your team. Bring what you have collected to the House when you have a hefty sum of tabs or to most local American Legion Posts in North Carolina.
- What happens to the tabs?
- When a large amount of tabs have accumulated at the House, we take the tabs to our local recycling center. The money raised benefits the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House of Durham.
- How do I donate tabs?
- Drop Off at the House -- Drop off the pop tabs to Ronald McDonald House of Durham, 506 Alexander Avenue, Durham, NC 27705.
- Drop off at the American Legion -- You can also drop off the pop tabs at any local American Legion Post in North Carolina. To find a post near you, visit www.nclegion.org.
- Recycling Center -- Take your pop tabs to your local recycle center for recycling. Mail a check of your pop tab amount to Ronald McDonald House of Durham.
Just the Facts
- The pull tabs do NOT buy time on dialysis machines or buy wheelchairs.
- We do NOT accept the whole can with the tabs because of space restrictions.
- We accept only clean recycled materials for the health of our families and children.
- We receive the going rate for aluminum, which changes as the demand changes - varying from rates of 23 to 52 cents per pound on any given period.
- We average about 450 pounds every 10 days, or approximately $234.
- Every penny helps families stay at the House -- $10 pays for one family for one night!
Pop Tab Fun Facts
- Approximately one million pull tabs = 800 pounds
- Approximately 1,430 pull tabs = one pound
- Approximately 63,360 pull tabs = 1 mile